Written by Valerie Walker, Assistant Professor, Human Services
Calling all faculty! You are invited to an inter-disciplinary conference that involves dynamic sessions by recognized leaders in the field of social justice issues addressed through everyday practice in education, advocacy, social sciences, health care and community settings. As educators, advocates for students, and leaders, we respond to the inequities and ethical issues that impact our students and communities. JUST Practice aims to address obstacles that effect access to empowerment, recovery and well-being, and prepares us to provide culturally responsive, quality services for our changing communities. This conference is valuable for educators, practitioners, and students in human services, social sciences, criminal justice, education, health care, and related fields.
Harper College Annual Human Services Conference
- Date: Friday, April 6, 2018
- Time: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Location: Wojcik Conference Center
- Register Online or call 847.925.6616. More registration information below.
- Luncheon Keynote Presentation: Dr. Melissa Blount, “Making the Invisible, Visible: Responding to White Supremacy through a Trauma Lens”
- National Clothesline Project: A local collection of t-shirts will be on display, which raises awareness and honors survivors of intimate violence.
- Black Lives Matter Witness Quilt Display: The Black Lives Matter Witness Quilt honors and draws attention to the lives of Black women and girls lost to violence in Chicago by incorporating their names into a community quilt. The Quilt is being created by Melissa Blount, with MEET (Making Evanston Equitable Together).
- Social Justice Service Experience: This year’s conference-based service experience will benefit ‘Love and Protect’ organization, which advocates for and supports incarcerated women.
- University and Resource Fair: Connect with several universities and relevant organizations during session breaks and our networking luncheon.
- Additional information is available on the conference webpage.
Registration for all participants includes a light breakfast, all sessions, University and Resource Fair, lunch, and verification of participation.
- Harper College employees and college/university students: $39; Public/Professionals: $79
- 6 CEUs for LCSW, LCPC, Psychologists, Nurses provided FREE by Amita Healthcare. CEUs for ICDVP are provided by WINGS.
- Register Online or call 847.925.6616
Coordinated by the Human Services Program, Human Services Student Club, and Harper College Continuing Education. Sponsorships provided by Amita Health, the Northwest Suburban Alliance on Domestic Violence, and participating Universities.