Shared by Matt McLaughlin, Associate Dean, Student Success Initiatives
We remain grateful to our faculty partners who continue to encourage student success with Starfish. Starfish is an online engagement tool used to connect faculty, staff, and students to better support students and their academic success.
Although many of you are long time users of the system, there are some exciting updates to share that will go into effect this semester based on feedback we received from some faculty. Enhancements for Fall 2022 include streamlining the student feedback options, as well as enriching the communication students receive from Starfish when faculty raise flags. Please be sure to review the list of changes below.
Summary of Starfish Changes for Fall 2022
1. Students who receive two or more Kudos from faculty will receive additional recognition from Student Engagement acknowledging and celebrating their efforts.
2. The number of available flag options is condensed. The streamlined flag approach will make it easier for faculty to decide what flag to raise and will reduce the number of duplicative concern flags raised.
3. Comments that faculty enter when raising a tracking item – except for comments entered for the “Private Message to Advisor” flag – will be included in the email students receive when a flag is raised. This will provide students a complete picture of the nature of the concern and any recommendations the faculty may be sharing to assist with their success.
4. Faculty may opt-in and choose to receive daily or weekly summary emails documenting the communication that Starfish sends to students upon flags raising. The emails will contain the actual text that students receive.
5. Starfish documentation has been updated on the MyHarper Portal. Select the “How Do I?” tab on the Starfish webpart located on the homepage to access resource guides such as how to submit an early alert survey or how to provide a student “anytime” feedback. New this semester is a document called “Review Student Email Templates”, which will allow you to view the messaging sent to students when you raise a given flag from within Starfish.
6. Just a reminder: Faculty can access Starfish through the MyHarper Portal or Blackboard!
Questions? Need Assistance?
We are ready to help! Contact us for “desk side support” or a quick Q & A anytime. Just email us at email@example.com or call 847.925.6220 for assistance.