All Harper College faculty are cordially invited to attend the Faculty Retreat 2019: “Relevant and Responsive Teaching Across Disciplines.”
- Dates: March 15-16, 2019
- Location: Q Center in St. Charles
- CEUs: 0.4 (Friday) and 0.5 (Saturday)
- Cost: The retreat will be fully funded; no individual professional development funds will be required.
- Register by 12 p.m. on February 22, 2019: www.bit.ly/FacultyRetreat2019 (no registrations can be accepted after this date)
This year’s retreat offers faculty an opportunity to share our collective funds of knowledge and plan for continued growth as we examine the common elements and nuances of relevant and responsive teaching across disciplines. Friday, Harper faculty presenters from each discipline-area will share approaches that have worked well for students throughout the years as well as ways they have evolved to adapt to students’ ever-changing needs. Friday evening will include team trivia, talent night, and an optional overnight stay. Saturday, faculty will work in inter and intra-disciplinary teams to explore student learning bottlenecks in their fields and decode the mental moves that describe their expert implicit knowledge using the Decoding the Disciplines framework. The retreat will conclude with the development of plans for collaborative faculty development within discipline areas.
Part I: Friday Faculty Presentations “Relevant and Responsive Teaching Across Disciplines”
- 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. Check-in
- 1 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. Presentations
- 2:45 p.m. – 3:15 p.m. Comedy & Crudité Break
- 3:15 p.m. – 5 p.m. Presentations
- 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. Social Hour
- 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. Dinner
- 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. Team Trivia
- 9 p.m. – 11 p.m. Talent Night
Optional overnight stay (those who register for the overnight stay are expected to attend the Saturday program)
Part II: Saturday Decoding the Disciplines & Discipline-Area Group Time
- 6:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Breakfast (7:30 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. Optional Yoga & Meditation)
- 8:30 a.m. – 9 a.m. Underrepresented Population Experiences and Addressing Bottlenecks for English Language Learners
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Decoding the Disciplines
- 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. Lunch and Discipline Area Team Time
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. Presentations
- February 1, 2019: Register by this date to receive an early bird registration gift
- February 22, 2019, 12 p.m.: Final Registration (absolutely no registration can be accepted after this date)
All full-time and adjunct faculty are invited. Please invite and remind your colleagues to register.
Register by 12 p.m. on February 22: www.bit.ly/FacultyRetreat2019
Please consider your availability for the retreat carefully as the Academy must pay the venue for all registered guests.
Questions? Please contact the Academy at 847.925.6174, email@example.com.