Faculty Leadership Opportunity – Faculty Director of the Office of International Education
Tenured, full-time faculty who have attained a minimum of one promotion as a Harper faculty member are invited to apply for the Faculty Director position. Applicants should be able to demonstrate extensive involvement and leadership potential in the advancement of the college’s international education initiatives.
The Faculty Director coordinates campus programs and activities with international content, including faculty and curriculum development, seeks external grant opportunities in the area of international studies, and oversees all international education abroad programs managed by Harper College. The Faculty Director also serves as Senior International Officer (SIO) on councils and committees in the area of international education. The Faculty Director reports to the Provost’s office as a direct report to the Associate Provost for Academics.
Please review the position terms and duties/responsibilities, ensure you meet the minimum qualifications, and discuss the opportunity with your Dean before applying. Questions about the position can be directed to Kathy Bruce, Interim Associate Provost for Academics.
An advisory committee will review applications, interview selected applicants, and make a recommendation to the Associate Provost for Academics who will select an applicant to fill the position. The advisory committee will include the Program Assistant for the Office of International Education, two full-time faculty members with experience in international education, the Associate Dean of Interdisciplinary Programs, and the current Faculty Director.
Applications must include a letter of inquiry highlighting the candidate’s qualifications and professional interest in applying for this position. In addition to the letter of inquiry, candidates should submit written responses to the following questions:
- Why are global perspectives important and/or useful for college educators and their students, and what impact can such perspectives have both inside and outside the classroom? How should the Office of International Education at Harper College support these efforts?
- What is your vision for international education at Harper College in the next four years? What ideas do you have for fulfilling that vision?
Complete applications may be submitted by email as Word documents and/or PDFs to email@example.com
Applications are due by Friday, February 19, 2021 at 5 p.m. Interviews (45 minutes) are tentatively scheduled with the advisory committee for the week of March 1, 2021.
Terms of Position:
The Director position is a 4-year appointment (subject to annual review). After the completion of the first term, a second 4-year term may be granted without a search process as determined by the Associate Provost and Director.
The Director will receive 9 contact hours of reassigned time during the fall and the spring semester. A summer rider will be completed for summer work based on the scope of the work that the Director and the Associate Provost agree is appropriate with approval from the Provost’s Office by May 15 to ensure planning time prior to the summer term. Summer work should not exceed 10 days. Compensation is per faculty contract for summer work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Associate Provost on budget
- Oversee all aspects of Global Region of Focus initiative
- Manage faculty development with a global focus
- Organize campus programming
- Manage Global Scholars Distinction graduation requirement
- Co-facilitate the Social Justice Leadership Certificate program with Office of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Manage most aspects of study abroad, especially those related to faculty-led programs
- Maintain relationships with affiliate study abroad partners
- Create and oversee implementation of OIE Strategic Plan
- Serve on Shared Governance International Studies and Programs Committee (by position)
- Perform miscellaneous and related tasks as warranted
Applicants for the Director position must be tenured, full-time faculty who have attained a minimum of one promotion as a Harper faculty member and have demonstrated extensive involvement and leadership potential in the advancement of the college’s international education initiatives. Applicants must be able to demonstrate consistent participation in international education activities.