New Adjunct Faculty
As a new adjunct faculty member at Harper College, the Academy for Teaching Excellence would like to welcome you!
The Academy promotes student success by collaborating with department chairs, division deans, and Human Resources to provide instructional support, resources, and professional development for full-time and adjunct faculty.
Review the frequently asked questions listed below to help you get started. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can help you with. We look forward to working with you!
Is there an orientation for new adjunct faculty?
Yes, the Academy for Teaching Excellence hosts New Adjunct Faculty Orientation (NAFO) sessions at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Orientation is designed to provide you with the information and resources you need to make a successful transition to teaching at Harper College.
- Meet the staff of the Academy for Teaching Excellence and learn about support and resources available to you
- Get your log-in information and technology essentials training with IT
- Attend a Blackboard Bootcamp (Harper’s Learning Management System)
- Meet your Dean and learn about Division Office policies and procedures
- Get your Harper ID card and parking sticker
- Ask questions
- …and more!
When is orientation for Fall 2022?
There are two New Adjunct Faculty Orientation sessions scheduled for Fall 2022:
- Monday, August 15, 5 – 8:30 p.m., On-Campus Session: Register Here
- Tuesday, August 16, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., Virtual Session: Register Here
After you register for a session, please look at the items listed in the “What do I need to do before my first day?” toggle below.
What do I need to do before my first day?
- Register to attend a New Adjunct Faculty Orientation session (registration links located in the toggle above).
- Please work with your Division Office to make sure you submit all required documents and complete all required onboarding tasks via the Oracle Fusion system. Completing all of these tasks as quickly as possible will help ensure that you have access to your accounts prior to the start of the semester. If you have any questions, please contact your Division Office (view contact info) or Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- View Fall 2022 Resources (Blackboard course template, syllabus template, and more).
- Fill out the Academy Request Form for assistance from Academy instructional designers as you prepare for the semester.
- Watch the “Presentations to help you get started” tutorials below.
- Learn more about Fall 2022 Opening Week events.
Presentations to help you get started…
- The Four Connections: Learn about the Four Connections research started at Odessa College and how you can incorporate the findings into your classroom. There are two options: The Four Connections: Shocking Findings & Simple Strategies and Fostering the Four Connections Online.
- Lesson Makeover Using the Nine Events of Instruction: Watch a lesson go through a “makeover” using Robert Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction.
- Harper College Course Syllabus Template: Find out where the template resides and how to share your very important course information. Browse this list of creative ideas for sharing your syllabus with students: Syllabus Sharing Ideas.
- The Student Experience: Flight of the Hawks Prepare to SOAR: This video provides an overview of Harper’s completion model, Flight of the Hawks Prepare to SOAR. You will learn about the Search, Onboard, Advance, and Realize components of the model and see how they positively impact the student experience at Harper. You will also receive some tips and suggestions for supporting students and contributing to this model.
- Student Conduct, the Harper Early Alert Team, and Title IX: Student Conduct Officer & Outreach Coordinator, Mike Vanlandingham, provides an overview of the Student Conduct, Harper Early Alert Team, and Title IX resources at Harper College.
- Emergency Procedures at Harper College: Campus emergency procedures presented by the Department of Environmental, Health, Safety, and Risk Management and the Harper College Police Department.