New Adjunct Faculty
As a new adjunct faculty member at Harper College, the Academy for Teaching Excellence would like to welcome you!
The Academy promotes student success by collaborating with department chairs, division deans, and Human Resources to provide instructional support, resources, and professional development for full-time and adjunct faculty.
Review the frequently asked questions listed below to help you get started. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can help you with. We look forward to working with you!
Is there an orientation for new adjunct faculty?
Yes, the Academy for Teaching Excellence hosts two New Adjunct Faculty Orientation (NAFO) sessions at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Orientation is designed to provide you with the information and resources you need to make a successful transition to teaching at Harper College.
- Get your Harper ID card and parking sticker
- Meet your dean on a division office tour
- Learn procedures for student conduct, emergency response, and campus safety
- Attend a Blackboard Bootcamp
- Get your log-in information and technology essentials training with IT
- Meet the staff of the Academy for Teaching Excellence and get tips for your first day of class
- Ask questions
- Enjoy food and networking with your colleagues
When is orientation for Spring 2020?
The New Adjunct Faculty Orientation session for Spring 2020 is scheduled for:
- Saturday, January 11, 8:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
What do I need to do before my first day?
Tasks to complete before your first day are listed in the “Adjunct Faculty” tab on the Harper College onboarding website. Please complete all tasks prior to your first day so HR can process your enrollment information in a timely fashion and to make your first day rewarding.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Please contact Amanda Nielsen, Adjunct Faculty Outreach & Engagement Specialist, and she can help answer or direct your questions: email@example.com, 847.925.6948.
You can also contact the Academy for Teaching Excellence directly at:
- Phone: 847.925.6174
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Building F, Room F317
- Hours: Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. & Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Resources to help you get started…
The 4 Connections: Shocking Findings and Simple Strategies
Introduction to the 4 Connections research and suggestions on how you can incorporate them into your classroom.
Harper College Syllabus Template
Find out where the template resides and how to share your very important course information.
Lesson Makeover Using the Nine Events of Instruction
Watch a lesson go through a “makeover” using Robert Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction.