The Academy for Teaching Excellence provides assistance and support for traditional, blended and online instruction. Our instructional design services support faculty in designing their courses, applying appropriate instructional strategies, and solutions for improving student engagement. Instructional design resources include on-demand and on-request teaching consultation, as well as workshops for traditional and technology-assisted teaching methods.
Online Course Development
Whether you are new to the online classroom or have experience and want to learn about new techniques and skills that will positively affect student retention and success, assistance is available at your request!
What Do I Need To Do to Develop a Distance Course?
- Step 1: Talk to your Division Dean
- Step 2: Complete the Online Course Development Form
- Select the reimbursement that applies to you
- Obtain the required signatures
- Take or send the form to the Academy for Teaching Excellence
- Step 3: Request assistance with course development by completing the Project Request form
Course Design Review (CDR)
Submit your online course for a design review! A review team made up of yourself and two trained course reviewers will use the OSCQR (Open SUNY Course Quality Review) rubric to locate course design elements considered important for aiding student retention and success. Contact the Academy to learn more about this new program and how you can have your course reviewed.
View the Course Design Rubric that will be used.
Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in the Classroom
Universal design for learning (UDL) is a framework to improve and optimize teaching and learning for all people based on scientific insights into how humans learn. Chances are you are already using concepts of UDL in your instruction. The Academy for Teaching Excellence can assist you in implementing UDL concepts in the classroom and aligning your instructional strategies with course objectives and institutional goals.
Academy Design Workshops
- Camtasia: Create Tutorials and More
- Developing Your Distance Course Seminar
- Free Course Material Development Tools