- This event has passed.
CommUnity Perspective: “We Serve and Protect, Laquan McDonald Memorial”
April 27, 2017 @ 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm
On October 20, 2014, none of the people impacted by the incident reflected in Kevin Coderre’s artwork, “We Serve and Protect, Laquan McDonald Memorial,” imagined this would be their circumstance that day. With his selection of this piece for the President’s Artwork Award, Dr. Ender challenged the Harper campus community to consider, “What historical or social issues may have impacted this?” and “How might we use this art piece to help engage our campus in a larger dialogue about matters that impact our campus, community, and our society?”
Please join us for this fourth and final event to share and celebrate what we have learned and discovered.
- 4 p.m. – 5 p.m. Circle Conversations, Wojcik Dining Room (Building W)
- Participate in small group conversations which will be a safe place for honest and open expression on questions related to the Laquan McDonald shooting as well as Coderre’s artwork. What have we been thinking or feeling about the artwork and the events that supported our conversation?
- 5 p.m. A CommUnity Walk from the Wojcik Dining Room (Building W) to the Starbucks Atrium (Building D)
- 5:15 p.m. – 6 p.m. CommUnity Celebration, Starbucks Atrium (Building D)
- Spoken word and music performances from students, faculty, and staff
- 6 p.m. Closing, Starbucks Atrium (Building D)
Refreshments will be available. Open to all faculty, staff, and students.
RSVP by Wednesday, April 26 to email@example.com
Individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation or who have questions about physical access may contact the event host or Access and Disability Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, 847.925.6266, at least two weeks in advance of the event date.
Academy for Teaching Excellence Workshop Cancellation Policy
Occasionally, the Academy for Teaching Excellence may have to cancel a workshop due to circumstances beyond our control. With the exception of instructor illness and inclement weather, the decision to cancel a workshop will be made 48 hours prior to the scheduled date of the workshop. In the event of a cancellation, the Academy will make every effort to notify registered participants via their Harper College email account. If you have a concern about a workshop you have registered for being cancelled, please contact email@example.com or call 847.925.6174.