- This event has passed.
Constructing Difference: Theorizing Race and Ethnicity – An Interdisciplinary Approach (GEC)
April 12 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Graduate Equivalency Course (GEC)
- Format: Blended (online and face-to-face)
- Dates: March 1, 2017 – April 26, 2017 (Spring Break 3/20-3/26)
- Face-to-face meetings: Wednesdays, March 1, March 15, March 29, April 12, and April 26, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m., D269
- GECs: 3
- Instructor: Dr. Durene Wheeler, Northeastern Illinois University
- Details: Employing the works of sociology, literature, philosophy, critical race studies, critical media studies, ethnic studies, feminist studies, and science studies, this interdisciplinary course seeks to explore and examine the foundational narratives from enlightenment to the present day that have shaped thinking in the West about race, ethnicity, and racial identity. We will examine texts written by those who link race to intellectual aptitude and behavior and look at the ways that understandings of race have shaped laws throughout the world. We will explore scholarship addressing the intersections of race, ethnicity, class, gender, genetics, sexuality, and politics in an effort to understand the influence of White privilege and White Supremacy in the United States. This course is not exclusively about people of African descent, and topics discussed in this course explore varied intellectual interests and perspectives in terms of race and ethnicity.
- Fee: No cost. Read more.
- Register Online Now
Academy for Teaching Excellence Workshop Cancellation Policy
Occasionally, the Academy for Teaching Excellence may have to cancel a workshop due to circumstances beyond our control. With the exception of instructor illness and inclement weather, the decision to cancel a workshop will be made 48 hours prior to the scheduled date of the workshop. In the event of a cancellation, the Academy will make every effort to notify registered participants via their Harper College email account. If you have a concern about a workshop you have registered for being cancelled, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847.925.6174.